Facial acupuncture is so much more than having tiny needles inserted into your face!
Many patients find facial acupuncture particularly beneficial because it positively impacts not only the facial tissues, but treats their entire being – mind, body, and soul.
What is Facial Acupuncture?
Even though facial acupuncture is a “facial” treatment, it is part of a whole-body experience that can restore balance, treat symptoms, and address any underlying conditions that may be contributing to stress, anxiety, insomnia, poor digestion, and headaches.
Typically, after a full-body acupuncture treatment, the acupuncturist will also perform acupuncture techniques specifically on your face. It is usually recommended that facial acupuncture be done as part of a whole-body treatment instead of performed in isolation. This is because focusing acupuncture on the face and not the whole body can create energy congestion in the face alone which can lead to dullness, headaches, and discomfort.
When it comes to facial acupuncture, 40-70 tiny and painless needles are inserted on the face to create positive microtraumas – microscopic wounds that stimulate the lymphatic and circulatory systems which deliver nutrients and oxygen to your skin cells.
This nourishes the skin from the inside out, helps with complexion, and promotes your skin’s natural glow. The positive microtrauma also encourages the production of collagen which improves elasticity and minimizes wrinkles.
It’s no wonder that facial acupuncture is considered to be a natural facelift!
Acupuncture of the face falls under two categories: facial acupuncture and cosmetic acupuncture.
- Facial acupuncture is used to treat the symptoms of conditions that affect the facial muscles and tissues such as muscle stiffness, headaches, allergies, and jaw aches.
- Cosmetic acupuncture is used to specifically rejuvenate the skin.
Three Benefits of Facial Acupuncture
Now that you know what facial acupuncture is, let’s look at three of the main benefits of cosmetic and non-cosmetic facial acupuncture:
- Facial Acupuncture Improves the Health of Your Skin
As mentioned above, facial acupuncture can improve skin elasticity, blood circulation, and increase the production of collagen.
Here are each of these benefits in more detail:
- Improved Blood Circulation: When the acupuncture needles are inserted into various points on your face, they increase circulation which brings more oxygenated blood to your skin cells. This encourages healing and rejuvenation.
- Increased Production of Collagen: When the needle creates a painless trauma to the skin, the brain produces more collagen to repair the skin cells. This helps to smoothen out wrinkles and tighten the skin.
- Improved Skin Elasticity: The more collagen your body produces, the more elasticity you will have in your skin. This prevents sagging.
Here are some other benefits facial acupuncture can have for your skin:
- Gives your skin an overall younger appearance
- Tightens pores and brightens the face
- Improves muscle tone
- Plumps your face and neck for a smoother texture
- Levels pigmentation and discoloration
- Decreases discolorations and age spots
- Diminishes blemishes
- Softens scarring caused by acne or trauma
- Reduces facial edema (swelling), bags, puffiness under the eyes, and droopy eyelids
- The Results of Facial Acupuncture Can Last for Over a Year
The full effects of a facial acupuncture treatment can take up to 24 hours, but you should see a noticeable glow shortly afterward.
For the best results, you should start off with weekly visits for 6-8 weeks or until the desired results are achieved. After this, a regular maintenance appointment every 2-3 months will extend the results and benefits – sometimes up to a year!
You can also get single treatments if you want to give your skin a quick boost.
Keep in mind, however, that facial acupuncture is not a quick fix like Botox or dermal fillers. The goal is to create long-term changes in the health of the skin in a way that is safe and natural through better collagen stimulation and reduced tension and anxiety.
- Facial Acupuncture Benefits Your Whole Body
While facial acupuncture, especially cosmetic facial acupuncture, is sought after to improve the look and health of the face’s skin, the treatment also offers some amazing whole-body benefits.
Some of these include:
- Improved acne (caused by hormonal imbalance)
- Improved hormonal balance (that affects menopause, perimenopause, PMS, and thyroid function)
- Helps sinus congestion and headaches (except severe migraines)
- Reduces the symptoms of a toothache
- Reduces the symptoms of TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorders such as jaw pain, chewing difficulties, and difficulty opening and closing the mouth
- Reduces the symptoms of Bell’s Palsy (facial muscle weakness or paralysis)
- Reduces dizziness
- Improves sleep
- Helps depression and promotes self-esteem
- Slows down hair loss and hair greying
- Treats diarrhea, constipation, and other digestive issues
- Improves metabolism
- Reduces stress and promotes relaxation
Can Anyone Get Facial Acupuncture?
While facial acupuncture, both cosmetic and non-cosmetic, certainly has some amazing benefits, it may not be safe for everyone.
Here are some instances where you should not seek facial acupuncture treatment:
- If you bruise or bleed easily (hemophiliacs, etc.)
- Are on a blood-thinning medication (Aspirin, for example)
- Have high blood pressure (unless it’s under control – speak to your doctor first)
- Have a pacemaker
- Experience severe migraines
- Have had cosmetic surgery in the last 6 months or unhealed scars
- Have had laser resurfacing in the last 3 weeks
- Had microdermabrasion or a chemical peel in the last 2 weeks
- Have had Botox or other injectables in the last 4 weeks
- Have had fillers recently and have not healed yet
- Have a cold or flue
- If you are pregnant
As with any medical procedure, you should always consult with your health care professional before seeking facial acupuncture.
Facial Acupuncture for Mind, Body, and Soul
Red Leaf Wellness is a multi-disciplinary clinic in Edmonton, Alberta that emphasizes whole integrative health for better wellness and healing.
Because facial acupuncture identifies and treats the root cause instead of just the symptoms, we can provide you with a full-rounded approach for better results!
Schedule an appointment online today or contact us to ask about our Edmonton Cosmetic Facial Acupuncture packages!